Friday, August 22, 2014

Baby Ruth Cookies


Ok so I have a small obsession with vintage recipes. I can read a vintage cook book like people read 50 Shades of Grey... I've been collecting what I think may still be delicious recipes. Unlike most vintage recipes that include a lime jello and tuna. Tuna jello molds is probably the sole reason why obesity wasn't much of a problem in the 50s and 60s like it is now. I mean the food was terrible!


Today I chose Baby Ruth cookies from my collection. This particular cookie recipe originated in 1942. Apparently it was printed on every Baby Ruth candy wrapper. Above is the original advertisement for the recipe. Oh to have only lived in the 50s. A time of innocence and leave it to beaver moms.


I had fun sized Baby Ruth candy bars, but you could full size candy bars. Be creative and use different candy bars. Don't like Baby Ruth's? Use Milky Way candy bars. Simple as that.


I busted out the "good" vanilla, as Ina Garten would say, for this recipe.


I highly recommend using a silpat on your cookie sheet versus just greasing the pan. I learned this after my first batch of cookies were destroyed as I removed them from the pan. When they bake the carmely bits from the candy ooze out and kinda stick to the pan. Another perk to using a silpat was the cookies maintained a nice round shape.


I added a heaping teaspoon of coarse ground kosher salt. I would only tell you to do this if you were using kosher or sea salt. Do not heap your teaspoon if using regular table salt, but I urge you ditch the iodized table salt and invest in kosher salt. It tastes, yeah it actually has a taste, so much better! The extra salt pairs nicely with sweet cookie and carmel.



I modernized the recipe, so that it is easier to follow...


Enjoy!





2 comments: